Friday, August 27, 2010

Cooling

The roof vent is a life saver, but while living in my van without one during the summer (and in the city where I couldn't just leave doors open), I had to resort to an old fashioned approach.

When I lived in Mesquite NV, the museum told me that the residents used to pull their beds outside in the summer and sleep under damp sheets.  Mesquite has an average high temperature of 104ยบ in July.

Keeping that in mind, I opened my side windows and used a large sack cloth type dish towel to make damp. I was able to get to sleep under it and by the time it dried out, it would be cool enough to sleep through the night. It worked great in the hottest weather.

Combining this approach with a ceiling fan (or any other available fan) works very well.


Member Link for a "mini swamp cooler":
http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/Household-Helpers/Phone-Electronics/Air-Cooler/46284.cfm?cm_sp=Right_Nav-_-Recently_Viewed-_-1

No comments:

Post a Comment